[Python-Dev] Re: Problem with SSL and socketmodule on Debian Potato?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 10:24:18 +0200

Neil Schemenauer wrote:

> Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> > It appears that RAND_status was indeed added between 0.9.4 and
> > 0.9.5. A test for OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER would probably help; in
> > 0.9.5a, it has the value of 0x0090581fL.
>
> Right.  From my RAND_status man page:
>
>        RAND_seed() and RAND_screen() are available in all
>        versions of SSLeay and OpenSSL. RAND_add() and
>        RAND_status() have been added in OpenSSL 0.9.5,
>        RAND_event() in OpenSSL 0.9.5a.
>
> The Debian libssl09-dev package does not work while
> libssl096-dev does.  Both are available in the current stable
> version of Debian (Potato).  We should patch socketmodule or add
> a note to the README.
>
> Sometimes I wonder if going to setup.py to build modules was a
> mistake.  It would be easy to use autoconf to test of the
> RAND_status function exists.  OTOH, its probably not too hard to
> add the smarts to setup.py.

distutils has the machinery for this built-in, but it's not
really ready for prime-time yet. See the mxSetup.py file in my
egenix-mx-base source archive for some auto-conf style code
built on top of the basic tools available in distutils.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg