[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Import hook to do end-of-line conversion?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:09:09 +0200

Just van Rossum wrote:

> I understand now that I simply don't have enough clue about the implementation
> to even try to be involved with this. Unless it makes sense to have a PEP that
> doesn't touch the implementation at all (doubtful, IMHO), I'll take back my
> offer to write one. I still think it's an important issue, but it's simply
> beyond what I can deal with.

Please write the results of this discussion up as a PEP. PEPs don't
necessarily have to provide an implementation of what is covered;
it sometimes simply suffices to start out with a summary of the
discussions that have been going on. Then someone may pick up the
threads from there and possibly find a solution which will then
get implemented.

> To solve the issues on MacOS X, maybe it's enough to hack the Carbon version of
> stdio so it can handle unix text files. That way we can simply settle for unix
> line ending if sharing code between BSD Python and Carbon Python is desired. At
> the same time this would allow using CVS under Darwin for MacPython sources,
> which is something I look forward to...

AFAIR, this discussion was about handling line endings in Python
source code. There have been discussions about turning the tokenizer
into a Unicode based machine. We could then use the Unicode tools
to do line separations.

I don't know why this thread lead to tweaking stdio -- after all
we only need a solution for the Python tokenizer and not a general
purpose stdio abstraction of text files unless I'm missing something
here...

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg