[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Import hook to do end-of-line conversion?

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:43:25 +0200

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> I don't know why this thread lead to tweaking stdio -- after all
> we only need a solution for the Python tokenizer and not a general
> purpose stdio abstraction of text files unless I'm missing something
> here...

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh! ;-) Here we go again: fixing the tokenizer is great and all,
but then what about all tools that read source files line by line? Eg.
linecache.py, all IDE's, etc. etc. As Tim wrote a while back:

  importing-is-only-the-start-of-the-battle

So no, we don't "only need a solution for the Python tokenizer"...

Just