[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Import hook to do end-of-line conversion?

Aahz Maruch aahz@rahul.net
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 06:13:22 -0700 (PDT)

Just van Rossum wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> I don't know why this thread lead to tweaking stdio -- after all
>> we only need a solution for the Python tokenizer and not a general
>> purpose stdio abstraction of text files unless I'm missing something
>> here...
>
> Aaaaaaaaaaaargh! ;-) Here we go again: fixing the tokenizer is great and all,
> but then what about all tools that read source files line by line? Eg.
> linecache.py, all IDE's, etc. etc.

<grin>  I'll repeat my question of yesterday: is there any reason why we
couldn't start with QIO?  I did some checking after I sent that out, and
QIO claims that it can be configured to recognize different kinds of
line endings.  QIO is claimed to be 2-3 times faster than Python 1.5.2;
don't know how that compares to 2.x.

[the previous message was sent to python-dev only; this time I'm
including pythonmac-sig]
--
                      --- Aahz (@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6             http://www.rahul.net/aahz
Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het

I don't really mind a person having the last whine, but I do mind
someone else having the last self-righteous whine.