[Python-Dev] make clean and make clobber semantics

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:38:41 +0200

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 12:27:09PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Another consequence is that after "make clobber" you have to rerun the
> configure script (or say "make recheck").  This takes almost as long
> as the rest of the build...

So don't do that. Run 'config.status' instead: it'll recreate your config
files (Makefile.pre, config.h, Setup.config) from cached info. It won't
rebuild everything, but it rebuilds config.h, which is what 'make clobber'
removes that breaks building.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>