[Python-Dev] make clean and make clobber semantics

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:36:43 +0200

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 11:47:32AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > > Another consequence is that after "make clobber" you have to rerun the
> > > configure script (or say "make recheck").  This takes almost as long
> > > as the rest of the build...
> >
> > So don't do that. Run 'config.status' instead: it'll recreate your config
> > files (Makefile.pre, config.h, Setup.config) from cached info. It won't
> > rebuild everything, but it rebuilds config.h, which is what 'make clobber'
> > removes that breaks building.

> Well, my issue is that before Neil "fixed" the Makefile, after a "make
> clobber" a "make" would do the job.  Now, there's a dependency on
> config.h but the Makefile doesn't know how to make that file.

I know, I was just pointing out you don't have to wait for 'configure' to do
its uncached magic, even if you lose config.h. Some projects do have a
dependency for 'config.h' that just calls config.status, by the way. (and if
config.status is missing, they just call configure or tell you to run
configure manually.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>