[Python-Dev] Re: ANNOUNCE: Python 2.1 final release

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:03:52 -0600

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 09:29:44AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>Yes, the *final* release of Python 2.1 is now available.  Thanks again

I've updated my set of RPMs against 2.1.  I've similarly upgraded my 2.1
beta announcement to 2.1 final, and am including it below.  Changes in this
version are:

   Upgrade to 2.1 final.
   Binary and package name is "python2" by default.  Comment out the first
         (non-comment) line of the .spec file to build "python".
   Fixes the path to python2 in pydoc based on the above.
   Uses "--with-pymalloc" when configuring.
   Included Tony Seward's patch to fix the expat module's header path.
   Split out devel and tkinter packages.

Enjoy,
Sean
======================
Shy of RPMs because of library or other dependancy problems with most of
the RPMs you pick up?  The cure, in my experience is to pick up an SRPM.
All you need to do to build a binary package tailored to your system is run
"rpm --rebuild <packagename>.src.rpm".

The Source RPM and binaries for RedHat and KRUD 7.0 are at:

   ftp://ftp.tummy.com/pub/tummy/RPMS/SRPMS/python2-2.1-1tummy.src.rpm

   ftp://ftp.tummy.com/pub/tummy/RPMS/binaries-KRUD-7.0-i386/

You'll also need the following to build the SRPMSs:

   ftp://ftp.tummy.com/pub/tummy/RPMS/SRPMS/expat-1.1-3tummy.src.rpm

(Note, KRUD is our RedHat-based distribution with all errata applied.
Binaries should work on a stock RedHat 7.0 system, particularly if you have
the errata applied).

Again, this one builds the executable as "python2", and can be installed
along-side your normal Python on the system.  Want to check out a great new
feature?  Type "pydoc string" or "pydoc -g" from your shell.

Download the SRPM from above, and most users can install a binary built
against exactly the set of packages on their system by doing:

   rpm --rebuild expat-1.1-3tummy.src.rpm
   rpm -i /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/expat*-1.1-3tummy.i386.rpm
   rpm --rebuild python-2.1b2-1tummy.src.rpm
   rpm -i /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/python*2.1b1-1tummy.i386.rpm

Enjoy,
Sean
--
 The structure of a system reflects the structure of the organization that
 built it.  -- Richard E. Fairley