[Python-Dev] RE: Python-Dev digest, Vol 1 #1324 - 16 msgs

Donald Beaudry Donald Beaudry <donb@abinitio.com>
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:22:03 -0400

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org> wrote,

> Greg Ewing writes:
>  >   class Foo:
>  >
>  >     def ftang(class c, x, y, z);
>  >       ...
>
>   I like this syntax better that the others.  While it requires that a
> single namespace is used for class and normal methods, I think that is
> a good thing -- we don't *want* overlapping sets of names!

But... we have overlaping names!  __init__ is just one example.
Further, that only works for methods.  How should class attributes be
distinguished?  Perhaps you dont want them.

Should a decision be made to go down this road, a big choice lies
ahead.  Are class objects "special" or are they simply instances of a
different class?  Because I didnt want to make a whole pile of
decisions regarding the "specialness" of class objects, I chose to
make the one decision that class object's only distinction from other
objects is that they are instances of a different class.  This is,
afterall, how all objects are distinguished.

--
Donald Beaudry                                     Ab Initio Software Corp.
                                                   201 Spring Street