[Python-Dev] Iterators, map, xreadlines and docs

Moshe Zadka moshez@zadka.site.co.il
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 12:07:43 +0300

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:24:48 -0400, "Tim Peters" <tim.one@home.com> wrote:

> A confused user on c.l.py reported that while
>
>     for x in file.xreadlines():
>
> works fine,
>
>     map(whatever, file.xreadlines())
>
> blows up with
>
>     TypeError: argument 2 to map() must be a sequence object
> I think that's a bug in map().  Anyone disagree?

I agree...but when we talked about it in c.l.py, I said that and you
said map() should be deprecated. Why the sudden change of heart?
why shouldn't it be changed to

[whatever(x) for x in file.xreadlines()]?

--
"I'll be ex-DPL soon anyway so I'm        |LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
looking for someplace else to grab power."|YODA: No...no... no. Quicker,