[Python-Dev] Re: Iterators, map, xreadlines and docs

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 21:41:04 -0400 (EDT)

Tim Peters writes:
 > effect, a bunch of docs for arguments need to say, in some words or other,
 > that the args must implement the iterator interface or protocol.  I think
 > it's essential that we define the latter only once.  But the docs don't
 > really define any interfaces/protocols now, so it's unclear where to put
 > that.

  Won't there be at least one standard iterator object defined for
lists, etc.?  That could be described in the built-in types section
(as with files, lists, etc.) of the Library Reference.  That will be
used as the definition of the iterator protocol in the same way the
file object description there is referred to from places that want
file or file-like objects.
  I think we need some re-organization of the built-in types section
to separate abstract protocols from specific implementations, but
that's an orthagonal aspect and can be handled at the same time as the
rest of the built-in types.
  Specific changes for places that accept iterators should be made as
the code is changed, as usual.  Please describe the changes clearly in
checkin messages so iterator related changes don't propogate to the
maintenance branch.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>