[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:33:15 -0700

To bring in yet someone else to this discussion, Mark Hammond and I were
chatting with Brendan Eich (of JavaScript and Mozilla fame) last week
about interpreter locks and the like, and Brendan mentioned that he had
done a lot of possibly reusable work in optimizing the various kinds of
thread lock strategies in JavaScript, as JS is used a lot server-side.
Specifically he was talking about some 'multi-level' locking stuff which
sounded impressive to me at least.

I doubt if Brendan has time to dig into either of Perl or Python's
internals, but I'm sure he'll provide general pointers if folks ask
nicely. =)  Brendan, do you care to give an executive overview of the
locking strategies used in JS?

--david ascher

PS: Brendan: If you want to know the context of this discussion, see:

	http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Browse/Threaded/python-dev