[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:48:22 +0200

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 11:52:01PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> At 11:46 PM 7/31/2001 -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >Have you looked at the byte code used in SRE, Python's (mostly)
> >Perl-compatible regex package?  Worth a look!

> Nope, not yet, but I will. (You folks will end up making a Python
> programmer out of me yet, I expect... :)

Well, at least you know it's happening... most people don't realize until
it's too late :)

> This and the C extension interface are the two big Python things I've got
> on my "must peer deeply into" list. Are there other places I should be
> concentrating on? (I'm poking about with the interpreter loop and
> associated code, but that's the sort of thing an expert with 20 minutes
> free will get me much farther than a week or two with the source)

What do you say I write up a longish email explaining quickly how Python
objects work, and how the Python interpreter and extension code works with
them ? I think it'd help with getting us talking about the same thing when
we say 'interpreter' or 'type' :-) And the beauty of my being in a different
timezone is that noone else is posting right now, so I can take the time
without someone else doing it spread out over four posts in separate
subthreads :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>