[Python-Dev] linuxaudiodev

Charles G Waldman cgw@alum.mit.edu
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 14:48:20 -0500

Skip Montanaro write:

 > The linuxaudiodev test never seems to work for me (though I do hear an
 > agonizing wail (is that supposed to be Homer Simpson?) from my laptop's
 > speakers when it's run).  The result is always:
 >
 >     test test_linuxaudiodev crashed -- linuxaudiodev.error: (16, 'Device or
 >         resource busy')
 >
 > The socketserver test works when run manually.

Neil Schemenauer replied:

 > Something has /dev/dsp or /dev/audio open.  Are you playing MP3s or
 > running something like esd?

If another process was holding /dev/whatever open, it's hard to
understand how the agonizing wail was produced.

The code in linuxaudiodev does its initializations in an order which
is explicitly proscribed by the OSS programming guide.

I have a SWIG-based linux audio module that I use in my code, not
wanting anything to do with the (to me) highly suspect linuxaudiodev
module.  Should I dust off this code and contribute it?

Of course, if we really want to provide high-quality audio support on
Linux, we have to account for a number of different options - at
least, OSS and ALSA...  this is sort of a can-of-worms.  But I do
believe that the current linuxaudiodev module should be deprecated.