[Python-Dev] Re: cgitb.py for Python 2.2

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 08:21:37 +0200

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 06:23:39PM -0700, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Why not add this to cgi.py instead?

> Because that would seem to defeat most of the point.

> The point was to provide an instant, effortless improvement for all
> of the Python CGI scripts out there.  If programmers have to manually
> edit all of their CGI scripts to insert

> I don't want people to have to edit every single script.

I'm sorry, Ping, but I have to disagree with you there... You might not want
people to edit scripts, but I'm not sure howmany people want the
functionality of their CGI script(s) significantly changed without editing
their scripts. I know I wouldn't, even though nothing would break; I
wouldn't feel comfortable displaying the innards of some of the CGI scripts
to whoever manages to feed it faulty data. I would strongly suggest making
people add a single line, along the lines of

cgi.enable_debug()

or

cgi.install_reporter()

and doing the exception-hook replacement in there.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>