[Python-Dev] Re: cgitb.py for Python 2.2

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 12:46:15 -0400

    SM> I have to agree.  Perhaps just as significant, what would
    SM> happen to a CGI script that already attempts to do something
    SM> to direct error output to a file or mail message the webmaster
    SM> will see?

That's my major concern about enabling by default too.  I'd now have
to have a way to /disable/ it explicitly, but of course, I'd have to
wrap that in a try/except in case I'm using an older cgi.py.

    SM> Most of my users wouldn't know a traceback (simpler or
    SM> otherwise) from a hole in the ground.  I think I have perhaps
    SM> two users who would understand that I was trying to create a
    SM> more readable report.

I agree.  cgitb.py is without a doubt Very Cool and should definitely
be in the std library.  But it's of use only to a handful of people,
primarily the developers of cgi module-based scripts.

+1 on additing it to std library
+1 on turning it on only with an explicit action (although I could
    live with enabling via side-effect on import of cgitb.py, count me
    -0 for that).

-Barry