[Python-Dev] [offtopic] /usr/bin/env vs linux

Guido van Rossum guido@zope.com
Sat, 04 Aug 2001 13:44:51 -0400

> Greg Ward wrote:
>  >
>  > Completely off-topic: the "/usr/bin/env" hack doesn't work with
>  > command-line arguments under Linux:
>  >
>  > Grumble.  Andrew and I tried to track this down once, and found
>  > suspicious-looking code in the kernel (ie., I don't think it's the fault
>  > of GNU env).
>
> I've noticed this as well.  Do you have any pointers to the suspicious
> kernel code?  Did you bring this up on the linux kernel development
> list?

This is age-old.  The kernel only passes on one argument (and it has
to be of limited length).  In "/usr/bin/env python", "python" is that
one argument.  I guess there's a really good reason (like resource
constraints) for this or it would've been fixed ages ago, wouldn't it?