[Python-Dev] FW: [Python-Help] Python threads with suncc (Forte 6.1) compiler

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
06 Aug 2001 05:18:33 -0400

Guido van Rossum <guido@zope.com> writes:

> > (2) AIUI, if you really care about performance you should be using
> > poll() anyway (tho' obviously this depends on your platform having
> > poll() in the first place, and I don't have the faintest idea how
> > widespread it is).
>
> Very widespread.  I forget -- what's the reason for poll()'s claim to
> better performance?

Appropriately enough, it avoids the need to much about with fd_sets
for each syscall, which makes a difference when yo are dealing with
huge numbers of sockets (again, I think).

Cheers,
M.

--
  I have long since given up dealing with people who hold idiotic
  opinions as if they had arrived at them through thinking about