[Python-Dev] PEP comments, bugs, and patches

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 10:00:37 +0200

Martin von Loewis wrote:

> I just found that PEP 1 is confusing in its instructions of how to
> submit feedback on a PEP. In one place, it says
>
> #  A better strategy is to encourage public feedback directly to the
> #  PEP author, who collects and integrates the comments back into the
> #  PEP.
>
> which suggest that proposed amendments to a PEP should be sent to the
> author. Later, it says
>
> # Please use the SourceForge bug manager[6] if you want to report
> # problems with PEPs, or better yet, the SourceForge patch manager[2]
> # for submitting patches to PEPs.
>
> which suggest that proposed amendments should be sent as patches to
> SF. Now, which of these procedures is preferred? Does the second mean
> that every PEP author needs permission to modify the patch database?
> Should every such patch be assigned to the PEP editor (i.e. Barry)?
>
> In case you wonder, the specific patch in question is #448841.

Just to clarify this a bit: I told Bob (the contributor) to upload
the patch to SF so that I don't lose track of it. I wasn't aware
that there actually is a PEP patch guideline somewhere -- for
me the SF patch manager simply helps managing patch reviews, so
I thought it makes good sense to tell people to upload patches
for my PEPs to SF too.

I don't think we need to make it a requirement though -- other PEP
authors may have different tracking methods.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH