[Python-Dev] PyChecker v0.8

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 13:29:33 +0200

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 08:37:59AM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I just saw another announcement of PyChecker.  It's definitely growing
> to become a very useful (if chatty :-) tool!  How about we attempt to
> fix at least all the real bugs it detects in the standard library,
> such as the typos in urllib2.py ...  Please help!

Well, I'm not sure how you're running it, but Python 2.2 is breaking
PyChecker :-) First off, I get a ton of these:

/home/thomas/python/python-CVS/dist/src/Lib/copy.py:303: Object (l) has no
attribute (append)

where (from the code) 'l' is obviously a list. The problem is this:

_BUILTINS_ATTRS = { types.StringType : dir(''),
                    types.TypeType : dir(type(0)),
                    types.ListType : dir([]),
[etc]

I guess that should now be

def compat_dir(o):
    return dir(o) or dir(type(o)) # Or perhaps just a switch on python version

_BUILTINS_ATTRS = { types.StringType : compat_dir(''),
                    types.TypeType : compat_dir(type(0)),
[etc]

Looking at the error output, I suspect there's some more incompatibilities
in there, including one that causes pychecker to stop processing a couple of
modules.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>