[Python-Dev] Direction of PyChecker

Samuele Pedroni Samuele Pedroni <pedroni@inf.ethz.ch>
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:16:07 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi.

[Neal Norwitz]

> > I would like PyChecker to use a fundamentally different way of
> > scanning modules.  I believe that it currently imports the module and
> > then scans the module's __dict__ for classes and functions, and
> > analyses their bytecode.  That's fragile, dangerous (if you don't know
> > what a module does you may not want to import it), and sometimes
> > causes spurious errors, like when I have this at the global level:
>
> Yes, this is one of the worst problems I know of.  I plan on changing this.

Let me know what are your plans about that, will you stick with some bytecode
based approach?

I'm consindering the possibility of adding a special mode to jython (based on
hooks and on porting the CPython tools/compiler) in which you can retrieve
the PVM bytecode of code objects, then there would be still to make PyChecker
java classes aware, but it could run under jython. (Don't know when I will
get at doing this)

It seems a nice tool, I would like the jython users to be able to use it too.

regards, Samuele Pedroni.