[Python-Dev] Direction of PyChecker

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:15:57 -0400

Neil Schemenauer wrote:

> Neal Norwitz wrote:
> > The reason why I chose to use the PVM bytecode was because it was
> > faster and easier to get something.  I started trying to use ASTs
> > but it would have taken a lot longer to get anywhere.
>
> Couldn't you use Tools/compiler to generate a nice AST?

I probably could.  Recently, I looked at the tool in 2.2.
But I didn't know about the compiler when I started.

I looked at pylint (from 1999) and the ASTs that were generated
from parser, etc.  But it was going to require too much work
at the time.  And I was just trying to figure out if static
analysis was even possible.

I've considered the benefits/drawbacks of converting checker
to use ASTs.  The drawback is how much time it will take to convert,
so I haven't done anything....yet.

Neal