[Python-Dev] Any NeXT users out there?

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 00:34:48 +0200

> The reason I'm asking is that we're changing the
> --with-next-framework support beyond all recognition to make it
> work on Mac OS X. I am probably breaking what was there previously,
> BUT I'm pretty convinced that that didn't work anyway as it stood.

Do you really need to call the option --with-next-framework? First, I
think it should be an --enable option, since you are not offering to
use or not to use some external tool or library. Furthermore, I find
it very confusing to have to invoke incantations involving NeXT when
compiling software for Mac OS. That Steve Jobs is head of the company
is *not* enough reason :-) Finally, if you are going to break what it
currently does, you may just as well remove the current code.

I don't know whether NeXT(Step?) should be supported anymore, but I
definitely know that MacOS should not be the vehicle to keep the NeXT
code forever. I also know that system specific code simpler if you
know what system it is intended to work on.

Out of curiosity: Just what is a framework? (Should that be Jack, what
is a framework ?-)

Regards,
Martin