[Python-Dev] Direction of PyChecker

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 11:23:04 -0400 (EDT)

  GvR> For tools like PyChecker, a higher level is more appropriate:
  GvR> give it an abstract syntax tree that can answer questions
  GvR> related to the symbol table, so that you can tell for example
  GvR> whether 'x = y' assigns a local to a global or vice versa --
  GvR> and if a local is involved, in which function it is defined.

I'm not sure how much time I can make for it in the 2.2 release
schedule, but I think a high-level source analysis module would be a
valuable addition to the compiler package.  We've got pychecker and
pydoc as to drive the requirements.  Do you think it's worth making
time for in the 2.2 release schedule?

Jeremy