[Python-Dev] PEP 252, PEP 253 and jython issues
Samuele Pedroni <email@example.com>
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 18:46:52 +0200 (MET DST)
FYI I'm up to finish with the whole picture tour of PEP 252/PEP 253
wrt to pontential jython issues.
My head has not exploded but I'm a bit worried:
- on one hand for the amount of work that seems necessary on Jython
side (but that's our problem)
- on the other hand by some design tangle: how to mostly preserve the codebase,
how to make the life for advanced users easy and natural, how to follow the
I hope both that I'm just not clever enough and I have overlooked
things wrongly ...
Here is an outline:
descr stuff up to backward compatibility with non doc/
top elements of the type/metatype hiearchies.
potential issues (design tangles):
"layout/inheritance scheme for types/subclassed types":
- subclassing of types (in java, in Jython)
- multiple inheritance in the context of type subclassing
- potential mismatch between
concrete subclassing (how Jython is coded and
probably users hope to do subclassing) and "delegation"
(how CPython is coded)
- interdipendence between object behaviours in CPython, and Jython
codebase and typical idioms
- how super/dynamic binded behaviour should be invoked?
tomorrow will follow a filled-in version.
regards, Samuele Pedroni.