[Python-Dev] Re: Inline and SWIG

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 19:25:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, David Beazley wrote:
> I've looked briefly at Inline and agree that it's a pretty nifty
> approach.  However, usability aside, it's got a number of pretty major
> limitations once you start getting into structure wrapping, C++
> classes, and other advanced types of extension wrapping.

I think the audiences are different.  SWIG is for taking an existing
library of C or C++ code and making it available in Python.  It seems
to me that Inline is about making multiple languages available to a
programmer while the programmer is writing new code.  I agree with you
that the first task is much, much harder.  However, there is also a
useful payoff from the second.

-- ?!ng