[Python-Dev] can anonymous bug reports/patches be squelched?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 12:43:23 -0400

Skip Montanaro writes:
 > That was the right thing to do under the circumstances, but I would if
 > there's some way to not allow anonymous bug reports and patches.  It seems
 > almost impossible to actually get a response back to the submitter in such
 > cases, so I don't see how you can have a useful dialog about the
 > report/patch.

  Anonymous means the submitter was not logged in, but appearantly
they have an option to leave an email address (which is not shown,
which is fine).  I don't think there's a requirement for an email
address, though, and I don't see any way for us to determine if they
left one.
  If there were a way to *require* an email address, or at least
determine if there was one, I'd be satisfied.  Not allowing anonymous
reports at all would not be very good; many of them have proved
useful (it doesn't matter who reports a typo in the docs, just that it
gets assigned to me).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>