[Python-Dev] Differentiating $(EXT) between build and install

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sun, 02 Dec 2001 00:26:00 +0100

Folks,
there's so many bug reports and questions about needing the
--with-suffix on Mac OS X when you're building on an HFS+ filesystem
that I'd like to fix this. The warning in configure doesn't cut it
because it gets lost in all the other messages.

What I'd like to do is have a separate Makefile variable, BUILDEXT,
that gives the extension to use for python while it lives in the build
directory. It would default to EXT, except if on HFS+ when EXT is
empty.

But this might change a couple of other things as well, so my question
is: is this an acceptable change so late in the beta stage?
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | ++++ see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/ ++++