[Python-Dev] Differentiating $(EXT) between build and install

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sun, 02 Dec 2001 11:26:41 +0100

Jack Jansen wrote:

> Folks,
> there's so many bug reports and questions about needing the
> --with-suffix on Mac OS X when you're building on an HFS+ filesystem
> that I'd like to fix this. The warning in configure doesn't cut it
> because it gets lost in all the other messages.
>
> What I'd like to do is have a separate Makefile variable, BUILDEXT,
> that gives the extension to use for python while it lives in the build
> directory. It would default to EXT, except if on HFS+ when EXT is
> empty.
>
> But this might change a couple of other things as well, so my question
> is: is this an acceptable change so late in the beta stage?

Wouldn't tweaking the setup.py to introduce a special case
for MacOS be much simpler ? (adding BUILDEXT would need patching
of the Makefile.pre.in process as well as distutils)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH