[Python-Dev] Release criteria

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 15:45:52 -0500

Martin von Loewis writes:
 > In particular, I think that the release candidate should not be
 > produced until "critical" SF bugs have been resolved. In #420851,
 > Barry indicates that bugs with a priority higher than six will block a
 > release. This sounds reasonable.
 >
 > Looking at the remaining bugs, we see
 >
 > Priority 8: two reports (assigned to loewis and nobody)
 >
 > Priority 7: 11 reports (6x akuchling, 3x gvanrossum,
 >                         1x jackjansen, 1x fdrake)

  The one assigned to me really must be fixed before release.  There
are a number of people who use the indexes, and they can be the only
effective way to use the affected documents much of the time.

 > Given that the oldest of these reports is from 2001-07-30, I think it
 > is unlikely that they will be all resolved within ten days. That seems
 > to suggest one of the following alternatives:
 >
 > 1. Move the deadline for the release candidate,
 > 2. Lower the priority for some of the reports,
 > 3. Move the threshold for release-critical bugs (to, say, 8),

  The one assigned to me is at priority 7 because that would block the
release.  Shift the threshold up and I shift the priority of that bug
to match.

 > 4. Give up the notion of release-critical bugs (which I would regret,
 >    since I hope "my" prio-8-bug should be fixed; it'll just take
 >    some more days).

  I agree we should keep the concept.

  -Fred

--