[Python-Dev] Differentiating $(EXT) between build and install

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sun, 02 Dec 2001 22:03:54 +0100

Recently, "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> said:
> > What I'd like to do is have a separate Makefile variable, BUILDEXT,
> > that gives the extension to use for python while it lives in the build
> > directory. It would default to EXT, except if on HFS+ when EXT is
> > empty.
>
> Wouldn't tweaking the setup.py to introduce a special case
> for MacOS be much simpler ? (adding BUILDEXT would need patching
> of the Makefile.pre.in process as well as distutils)

The problem is only with building the interpreter. Because HFS+ is
case-insensitive creating an executable "python" when there's already
a subdirectory "Python" isn't going to work. So the idea is to use the
BUILDEXT to create "python.exe" in stead, but install that as the
normal "python" in the eventual install location.

I would assume that the extra variable BUILDEXT in Makefile.pre.in
woulnd't bother distutils or anything else.
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm