[Python-Dev] Mac OS X sys.platform value

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 21:00:18 +0100

> Anyway, where sys.platform used to be "darwin1" upto and including 10.1.0 it
> is now "darwin5" for 10.1.1 (and it will go up to "darwin6" for 10.2, etc).
>
> I am of a mind to take the "1" out of sys.platform, so that it becomes
> "darwin".
>
> Good idea or not?

Bad idea. Anybody comparing to "darwin1" will have to update the
code. When they do so, they could just as well write
sys.platform.startswith("darwin").

The same happens on Linux, which happens to be "linux2" since Linux
kernel version 2.x is in use. That says little about the system,
though, since glibc version or name of the distribution may be
relevant.

On OS X, it seems sys.platform could be used to distinguish minor
differences. We should not take away that opportunity.

Regards,
Martin