[Python-Dev] memory leaks in 2.2

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 08:27:33 +0100

> Maybe we should resume offering a free copy of the next Python release to
> contributors working beyond the bounds of sanity?  Na -- even Thomas
> eventually figured out he could get a free copy anyway -- let's just pray he
> doesn't tell Martin <wink>.

:-) I personally don't see it as a problem that bug reports are piling
up. The GCC GNATS has 1341 "open" bug reports (meaning either "open"
or "analyzed") at the moment. bugzilla.mozilla.org reports 19611 bugs
in the "open" categories. Microsoft reportedly has over 60000 open
reports for Windows 2000. Neither of these groups despair :-)

As for the things we should change: I believe it is pointless to sit
on a report for a long time without doing anything about this. If
nothing happens for a year, the person that was assigned this report
likely won't do anything about it for the next months, either.
Unassigning things you know you won't do is particularly important for
patches, but to a degree also important for bug reports. It signals
that somebody else may need to step forward, or that some deity should
just decide on the fate of this report.

Regards,
Martin