[Python-Dev] Mac OS X sys.platform value

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 21:27:57 -0500

On 05 December 2001, Jack Jansen said:
> Anyway, where sys.platform used to be "darwin1" upto and including 10.1.0 it
> is now "darwin5" for 10.1.1 (and it will go up to "darwin6" for 10.2, etc).
>
> I am of a mind to take the "1" out of sys.platform, so that it becomes
> "darwin".

+1 from me.  If we could turn the clock back 5 or 6 years, I would also
do the same on Linux.

Note that I share Marc-André's dim view of tacking the first digit of
the kernel version number (or whatever) onto sys.platform -- the
Distutils has Yet Another way of creating platform descriptions.  It's
more complex than sys.platform, but quite a lot less fancy than
Marc-André's platform.py.

See distutils.util.get_platform(), if you're curious.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Linux weenie                                gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/