[Python-Dev] update on memory leaks in 2.2

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 07 Dec 2001 11:38:35 -0500

> Command line: (longexp crashes purify for some reason)
> 	./python -E -tt ./Lib/test/regrtest.py -u network -x test_longexp.py
>
> Results:
> 	168 tests OK.
> 	1 test failed:
> 	    test_socket_ssl
> 	15 tests skipped:
> 	    test_al test_bsddb test_cd test_cl test_curses test_dl test_gl
> 	    test_imgfile test_linuxaudiodev test_nis test_ntpath test_openpty
> 	    test_sundry test_winreg test_winsound

A few of these skips weren't expected: test_sundry, test_openpty,
test_bsddb.  What's missing to run those?

> test test_socket_ssl crashed -- socket.sslerror: SSL_CTX_new error

Works for me.  Probably your platform.  The SSL code sucks anyway.

> When running test_curses:
>
> 	test test_curses crashed -- _curses.error: curs_set() returned ERR

Works for me.

> Uninitialized Memory Reads (don't think these are python's fault):
>
> 	gdbm_open()	gdbmmodule.c:68
> 	getaddrinfo()	socketmodule.c:636
>
> Memory Leaks:
>
> 	NONE

Woohoo!  So I'll close the remaining leak report!

> Potential Memory Leaks:
>
> 	1012 from 4 different allocating points -- all in WeakRef

Any more info on these, or are these just red herrings?

> Things look great!

Agreed.

> Let me know if any of the skipped tests ought to have been run.
> Most likely possibility seems to be bsddb, sundry also needs bsddb.

Ah, that's why sundry fails.  I think it shouldn't depend on bsddb;
I'll look into that.