[Python-Dev] update on memory leaks in 2.2

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 11:04:17 +0100

guido wrote:
> I don't think so.  Insure (uselessly) lists *all* memory that's still
> allocated and reachable at exit.  Purify only reports certain blocks
> (in this case they were a bunch of weak refs) as potentially leaked.
> I'm not sure what makes them potentially leaked, but it must be a
> stronger condition than "still exists at exit".

purify runs a garbage collection algorithm on your program
to figure out if something has leaked.

iirc, a potential memory leak is when you no longer have a
pointer to the beginning of an allocated block, but there's a
valid pointer to somewhere inside the block.

a true leak is when you no longer point to the block (i.e when
even a conservative garbage collector could safely destroy it).

</F>