[Python-Dev] memory leaks in 2.2

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sun, 09 Dec 2001 20:14:26 -0500

> [Martin v. Loewis]
> > :-) I personally don't see it as a problem that bug reports are piling
> > up. The GCC GNATS has 1341 "open" bug reports (meaning either "open"
> > or "analyzed") at the moment. bugzilla.mozilla.org reports 19611 bugs
> > in the "open" categories. Microsoft reportedly has over 60000 open
> > reports for Windows 2000. Neither of these groups despair :-)

[Tim]
> If any language I worked on previously had a few hundred open bug reports
> (not counting feature requests), we would have shut the group down and
> pursued a new implementation.

It depends on what the bugs are.  Many bugs in our tracker are
intractable because we don't have the platform where it occurs or the
user didn't supply enough information to reproduce it.  I imagine the
GCC bugs are much of the same, just more (because GCC is more complex
and wider used than Python -- most GCC users are even more clueless
about GCC's implementation than Python users are about Python's
implementation).

I try to close bugs from clueless users if there's no response to a
request for more info, but often something that might be a bug but
isn't easily reproduced stays open for many many months.

So I'm not sure that it's realistic to keep all bugs on a page.

I did my part against bugs without someone to ask for more info by
forbidding anonymous bugs, recently.