[Python-Dev] memory leaks in 2.2

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:24:29 +0100

> My only interaction with the gcc bug base was helping to whittle down oodles
> of bad codegen cases on new ports.  I have no idea what else may be in
> there.

Many of them are of this kind. As a C++ person, I notice also (with
regrets) that a significant portion is of the kind "C++ compiler
rejects valid code, or crashes". They are easy to reproduce, so they
probably would have caused your former companies to throw away the C++
front-end and rewrite it from scratch. In g++, this won't happen:
nobody has the resources to rewrite it from scratch. And even with
these bugs, g++ still is much better than the competition :-)

> > So I'm not sure that it's realistic to keep all bugs on a page.
>
> We were close once.  Now the open patches don't even fit on a page.

I think the only time we were close was when the database was new.

Regards,
Martin