[Python-Dev] Can we checkin on the main trunk?

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro)
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:02:01 -0600

I have a trivial change for asynchat to shut up pychecker:

    /usr/local/lib/python2.2/asynchat.py:83: Local variable (why) not used
    /usr/local/lib/python2.2/asynchat.py:217: Local variable (why) not used

(delete the "why" variable in both cases).

Can I check in on the main trunk and have it go into 2.3 without disturbing
the 2.2 release?  I'm never sure during these alpha/beta/release candidate
situations what is and isn't allowed (other than that Barry's new branch is
clearly off-limits).  This is such a trivial change that it seems like
overkill to me to submit a bug report or a patch, have it assigned to
someone who two weeks later says, "sure, looks fine to me - check it in".

(Hint: For those of us with rotting neurons, whenever development enters a
release phase such as we are in right now, it would be helpful to remind us
what we can do as well as what we can't.)

Skip