[Python-Dev] A word from the author (was "pymalloc", was "fun", was "2.1 slowe r than 2.0")

Vladimir Marangozov vladimir.marangozov@optimay.com
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:10:05 +0100

Hi all,

[MAL]

>     M> I don't understand why we cannot take the risk of trying this
>     M> out in an alpha version.

Because the risk (long-term) is kind of unknown.

obmalloc works fine, and it speeds things up, yes, in most setups
or circumstances. It gains that speed from the Python core "memory
pattern", which is by far the dominant, no matter what the app is.
Tim's statement about my profiling is kind of a guess (Hi Tim!)

[Barry]

> Logistically, we probably need BDFL pronouncement on this and if we're
> to get alpha2 out today, that won't happen in time.  If we don't get
> the alpha out today, we probably will not get the first beta out by
> IPC9, and I think that's important too.
>
> So I'd be +1 on adding it opt-in for beta1, which would make the code
> available to all, and allow us the full beta cycle and 2.2 development
> cycle to do the micro benchmarks and evaluation for opt-out (or simply
> always on) in 2.2.

I'd say, opt-in for 2.1. No risk, enables profiling. My main reservation
is about thread safety from extensions (but this could be dealt with at
a later stage) + a couple of other minor things I have no time to explain
right now. But by that time (2.2), I do plan to show up on a more regular
basis.

Phew! You guys have done a lot for 3 months.
I'll need another three to catch up <wink>.

Cheers,

Vladimir