[Python-Dev] Re: Sets: elt in dict, lst.include

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 21:25:28 -0500

Neil Schemenauer <nas@arctrix.com>:
> [Tim Peters on adding yet more syntatic sugar]
> > Available time is finite, and this isn't at the top of the list
> > of things I'd like to see (resuming the discussion of
> > generators + coroutines + iteration protocol comes to mind
> > first).
>
> What's the chances of getting generators into 2.2?  The
> implementation should not be hard.  Didn't Steven Majewski have
> something years ago?  Why do we always get sidetracked on trying
> to figure out how to do coroutines and continuations?
>
> Generators would add real power to the language and are simple
> enough that most users could benefit from them.  Also, it should be
> possible to design an interface that does not preclude the
> addition of coroutines or continuations later.

I agree.  I think this is a very importand growth direction for the
language.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series
of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
	-- H.L. Mencken