[Python-Dev] Setup.local is getting zapped

Michael Hudson mwh21@cam.ac.uk
03 Feb 2001 09:51:16 +0000

Skip Montanaro <skip@mojam.com> writes:

> Modules/Setup.local is getting zapped by some aspect of the build process.
> Not sure by what step, but mine had lines I added to it a few days ago, and
> nothing now.  It should be treated as Modules/Setup used to be: initialize
> it if it's absent, don't touch it if it's there.
>
> The distclean target looks like the culprit:
>
>     distclean: clobber
> 	    -rm -f Makefile Makefile.pre buildno config.status config.log \
> 		    config.cache config.h setup.cfg Modules/config.c \
> 		    Modules/Setup Modules/Setup.local Modules/Setup.config
>
> I've been using it a lot lately to build from scratch, what with the new
> Makefile and setup.py.  Since Setup.local is ostensibly something a user
> would edit manually and would never have useful content in it as
> distributed, I don't think even distclean should zap it.

Eh?  Surely "make distclean" is what you invoke before you tar up the
src directory of a release, and so certainly should remove
Setup.local.  To do builds from scratch easily do things like:

$ cd python/dist/src
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ ../configure && make

and then blow away the ./build directory as needed.  This still tends
to leave .pycs in Lib if you run make test, so I tend to use lndir to
acheive a similar effect.

Cheers,
M.

PS:  Good sigmonster.
--
6. Symmetry is a complexity-reducing concept (co-routines include
   subroutines); seek it everywhere.