[Python-Dev] Setup.local is getting zapped

Neil Schemenauer nas@arctrix.com
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 09:21:24 -0800

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 09:04:08AM -0600, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> Make distclean doesn't remove the pyc's or Emacs backup files.  Those
> omissions seem to be a bug.  Makefile-meister Neal?

Yup, its a bug.  Here is the story now:

    clean
        all object files and compilied .py files

    clobber
        everything clean does plus executables, libraries, and
        tag files

    distclean:
        everything clobber does plus makefiles, generated .c
        files, configure files, Setup files, and lots of other
        crud that make did not actually generate (core, *~,
        *.orig, etc).

I'm not sure this matches what people expect these targets to do.
I expect that "make clean" will be less used now that the
makefile usually does the right thing.

I removed Makefile.in, Demo/Makefile, Grammar/Makefile.in,
Include/Makefile, Lib/Makefile, Misc/Makefile,
Modules/Makefile.pre.in, Objects/Makefile.in, Parser/Makefile.in,
and Python/Makefile.in as they are no longer used.

  Neil