[Python-Dev] Case sensitive import.

Finn Bock bckfnn@worldonline.dk
Sat, 03 Feb 2001 20:15:38 GMT

[Barry]

>So, let's tease out what the Right solution would be, and then see how
>close or if we can get there for 2.1.  I've no clue what behavior Mac
>and Windows users would /like/ to see -- what would be most natural
>for them?  OTOH, I like the Un*x behavior and I think I'd want to see
>platforms like Cygwin and MacOSX-on-non-HFS+ get as close to that as
>possible.
>
>Is it better to have uniform behavior across all platforms (modulo
>places like some Windows network fs's where that may not be possible)?
>Should Python's import semantics be identical across all platforms?
>OTOH, this is where the rubber meets the road so to speak, so some
>incompatibilities may be impossible to avoid.
>
>And what about Jython?

Jython only does a File().exists() (which is similar to a stat()). So on
WinNT, jython is behaving wrongly:

Jython 2.0 on java1.3.0 (JIT: null)
>>> import stringio
>>> stringio.__file__
'I:\\java\\Jython.CVS\\Lib\\stringio.py'

Yet I can't remember any bug reports where this have caused problems.

regards,
finn