[Python-Dev] Identifying magic prefix on Python files?

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 22:55:20 -0500

Ka-Ping Yee <ping@lfw.org>:
>                                         And the Ctrl-Z char
> is pointless; no other binary format does this or needs it.)

I've actually seen circumstances under which this is useful.  Besides,
you want a character separating the \n from the \r\n, otherwise ghod
knows what interactions you'll get from some of the cockamamie
line-terminator translation schemes out there.  Might as well be Ctl-Z
as anything else.

I'll leave the other issues to people with more experience and investment
in them.

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state".
        -- Claire Wolfe, "101 Things To Do Until The Revolution"