[Python-Dev] PEP announcements, and summaries

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:37:28 -0500

> On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 07:32:00PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >Some things which could be done to improve this:
> >* add a link to the python-dev archive directly from www.python.org
> >* summarize the development process somewhere on python.org and
> >  add a link "development" to the page titles

Andrew:
> We do need a set of "Hacker's Guide to Python Development" Web pages
> to collect that sort of thing; I have some small pieces of such a
> thing, written long ago and never released, but they'd need to be
> updated and finished off.
>
> And while I'm at it, too, I'd like to suggest that, since python-dev
> seems to be getting out of touch with the larger Python community,
> after 2.1final, rather than immediately leaping back into language
> hacking, we should work on bringing the public face of the community
> up to date:
>
> * Pry python.org out of CNRI's cold dead hands, and begin maintaining
>   it again.

Agreed.  I am getting together with some folks at Digital Creations
this week to get started with a Zope-based python.org website (to be
run at new.python.org for now).  This will be run somewhat like
zope.org, i.e. members can post their own contents in their home
directory, and after review such items can be linked directly from the
home page, or something like that.  The software to be used is DC's
brand new Content Management Framework (announced in a press
conference last Thursday; I can't find anything on the web yet).

(Hmm, I wonder if we could run this on starship.python.net instead?
That machine probably has more spare cycles.)

> * Start moving on the Catalog-SIG again (yes, I know this is my task)
>
> * Work on the Batteries Included proposals & required infrastructure
>
> * Try doing some PR for 2.1.

Joya Subudhi of Foretec has been doing a lot of Python PR work -- she
arranged about a dozen press interviews for me last week at LinuxWorld
Expo.  She can undoubtedly do a good job of pushing the 2.1
announcement into the world, once we've released it.