[Python-Dev] PEPS, version control, release intervals

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:07:44 +0100

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> A more critical issue might be why people haven't adopted 2.0 yet;
> there seems little reason is there to continue using 1.5.2, yet I
> still see questions on the XML-SIG, for example, from people who
> haven't upgraded.  Is it that Zope doesn't support it?  Or that Red
> Hat and Debian don't include it?  This needs fixing, or else we'll
> wind up with a community scattered among lots of different versions.

>From the users of my mx tools I usually hear that they are
using some software which has incorporated Python 1.5.2 and therefore
does not allow upgrading to 2.0. Another issue is that people
seem uncomfortable with upgrading to a new major release (the news
page is quite long even though backward compatibility is still
maintained much more than the length of the page suggests).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg