[Python-Dev] Setup.local is getting zapped

Neil Schemenauer nas@arctrix.com
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 20:56:12 -0800

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 04:10:56PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Effbot wrote:
> > why not just keep the old behaviour?
> Agreed.  Unless there's a GNU guideline somewhere.

A few points:

If typing make does not correctly rebuild the target then I
consider it a bug with the makefile.  Of course, this excludes
things like upgrading the system between compiles.  In that case,
you should remove the config.cache file and re-run configure.

Also, I'm uneasy about the makefile removing things it didn't
create.  I would be annoyed if I backed up a file using a .bak
extension only to realize that "make clean" blew it away.  Why
does "clean" have to remove this stuff?

Perhaps it would be useful if you explain the logic behind the
old targets.  Here is my rational:

  clean:

      Remove object files.  They take up a bit of space.  It
      will also force all .c files to be recompiled next time
      make is run.  Remove compiled Python code as well.  Maybe
      the interpreter has changed but the magic has not.

  clobber:

      Remove libraries as well.  Maybe Setup or setup.py has
      been changed and I don't want some of the old shared
      libraries.

  distclean:

      Remove everything that might pollute a source
      distribution.

Looking at this again I think the cleaning of configure stuff
should be moved to clobber.  OTOH, I have no problems with making
the clean targets behave similarily to the ones in 2.0 if that's
what people want.

  Neil