[Python-Dev] PEPS, version control, release intervals

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 07 Feb 2001 14:06:40 +0100

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > A more critical issue might be why people haven't adopted 2.0 yet;
> > there seems little reason is there to continue using 1.5.2, yet I
> > still see questions on the XML-SIG, for example, from people who
> > haven't upgraded.  Is it that Zope doesn't support it?  Or that Red
> > Hat and Debian don't include it?
>
> Availability of Linux binaries is certainly an issue. On xml-sig, one
> Linux distributor (I forgot whether SuSE or Redhat) mentioned that
> they won't include 2.0 in their current major release series (7.x for
> both).
>
> Furthermore, the available 2.0 binaries won't work for either Redhat
> 7.0 nor SuSE 7.0; I think collecting binaries as we did for earlier
> releases is an important activity that was forgotten during 2.0.
>
> In addition, many packages are still not available for 2.0. Zope is
> only one of them; gtk, Qt, etc packages are still struggling with
> Unicode support. omniORBpy has #include <python15/Python.h> in their
> sources, ILU does not compile on 2.0 (due to wrong tests involving the
> PY_MAJOR/MINOR roll-over), Fnorb falls into the select.bind parameter
> change pitfall. This list probably could be continued - I'm sure many
> of the maintainers of these packages would appreciate a helping hand
> from some Python Guru.

Does this mean that doing CORBA et al. with Python 2.0 is
currently not possible ?

I will have a need for this starting this summer (along with SOAP
and XML), so I'd be willing to help out. Who should I contact ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg