[Python-Dev] Making the __import__ hook available early...

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 09 Feb 2001 18:35:56 +0100

Thomas Heller wrote:

> > There has been some discussion on the import-sig about using
> > the __import__ hook for practically all imports, even early
> > in the startup phase. This allows import hooks to completely take
> > over the import mechanism even for the Python standard lib.
> >
> > Thomas Heller has provided a patch which I am currently checking.
> > Basically all C level imports using PyImport_ImportModule()
> > are then redirected to PyImport_Import() which uses the __import__
> > hook if available.
> >
> > My testing has so far not produced any strange effects. If anyone
> > objects to this change, please speak up. Else, I'll check it in later
> > today.
>
> One remaining difference I noted between running 'rt.bat -d' with
> the CVS version and the patched version is that the former
> reported [56931 refs] and the latter [56923 refs].

This is probably due to the interning of strings; nothing to
worry about, I guess. The patch implements the same refcounting
as before the patch, so it is clearly not the cause of the different
figures.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg