[Python-Dev] Curious comment in some old libraries

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 15:03:29 -0500

Pursuant to a conversation Guido and I had in New York, I have gone through
and converted the Python library code to use string methods wherever possible,
removing a whole boatload of "import string" statements in the process.

(This is one of those times when it's a really, *really* good thing that
most modules have an attached self-test.  I supplied a couple of these
where they were lacking, and improved several of the existing test jigs.)

One side-effect of the change is that nothing in the library uses splitfields
or joinfields anymore.  But in the process I found a curious contradiction:

stringold.py:# NB: split(s) is NOT the same as splitfields(s, ' ')!
stringold.py:    (split and splitfields are synonymous)
stringold.py:splitfields = split
string.py:# NB: split(s) is NOT the same as splitfields(s, ' ')!
string.py:    (split and splitfields are synonymous)
string.py:splitfields = split

It certainly looks to me as though the "NB" comment is out of date.
Is there some subtle and wicked reason it has not been removed?

This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were
no religion in it.
	-- John Adams, in a letter to Thomas Jefferson.